segunda-feira, 13 de maio de 2013

Slow but steady


The plan that I had set for myself to have all 4 beam mounts finished by Tuesday is not going to happen. It´s not the sort of detail one would want to rush. These are critical structural details that need special attention. It should be done correctly and flawlessly. Laminates should be clean and strong and there shouldn’t be no allowance for flaws that could cause premature delamination or structural failure even considering long term stress fatigue. So I take my time and try to laminate by stages making sure that glass is laid down with minimal discontinuities and distortions (especially Unidirectionals). I’m also using peel-ply over the first stage putty filling to allow the following putty fillets to bond well and avoid sanding. So far all has been done by hand lay up ( no vacuum or infusion). I believe laminates are reasonably strong and lean. There are no signs of bubbles,  voids or starved glass. There´s some rainy weather ahead (mainly showers) but should be resuming by Thursday.
Notice that I braced the aft beam bridge with some plywood. I was just getting tired of bumping ( actually fell down once) against the  existing cross beam. Since I have the cabin floor proped underneath there shouldn´t be any problem with this option. Besides it makes going in and out a lot easier now.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário