sexta-feira, 29 de julho de 2011

Belly up!

Finally got the deck surface ready for glassing. Here a rebate can be seen on the fore beam mount area. There's also a slot I routed through to serve as a guide for the position of the bulkhead. This area will be cut latter for the beam mounts.
Second cokpit floor in position and taped. Pre flanges worked very well. Amazing how stiff it become!

Belly up and ready for some sanding shaping and finally laminated.
Weather continues good with temperatures in the high 20's low 30's . Resin cures like crazy! Got to watch out for heat in the pot!
Comings days hope to continue on the inside ( plenty of stuff to do). Let's hope it doesn't get too hot!

sexta-feira, 15 de julho de 2011

The rudder and daggerboard have been restlessly staring at me since last December. I guess I´ll have to glass'm up and put them out of their waiting misery.
Little trick'n Tip!
Created an access to work decently on the rudder mount. Later will use it to reenforce the outboard mounting plate.
To do it, just routed 10 + mm down and left the bottom layer as a flange to support the cap.
It's going to be a life saver!

Here , rudder mount in place. It's official! If it's got a rudder ( well sort of!) , it's a boat!

quarta-feira, 13 de julho de 2011

Rudder mount

Getting ready to cut the gudgeon block in two. Cutting a thick glass/carbon fiber block can be a nightmare with all that terrible dust blasting off from the sawing disk. It can turn into a serious itching episode, so I'm not taking any chances. Despite the protection some dust still managed to get through my footware causing some very unpleasant skin irritation.

A rebate was created to accomodate the UD
And first layer o C glass setting up.

Tomorrow will put final glass/carbon layers.
I don't know if it turned out to be easier or stronger than what was in the plans but I surely did my way.

Rudder gudgeons

This time I decided to breach plans and do something out of my own imagination.
I started with a HD blank with a half circular recess at one end. Then wraped it on a BD 400gsm.
Wraped 2 layers of C lenghtwise , clamped it and then clamped the tube over the laminated strip.This helped getting some tension on the glass tape.
Added de carbon fibre....
... and trimmed the part, in this case, enough for both gudgeons.

terça-feira, 5 de julho de 2011

Slow but steady!

Wet weather has paid a visit in what seems to be a reminder that summer isn't a sure thing yet.
Anyway there's plenty of suff to do.
Right now I'm preparing the hull for lamination. At this point all rebates are done. Still need to place some HD inserts according to plans.
Before lamination I'll spread a thin coat of glass filled resin to create a better bonding surface. I've been doing this ever since I started the project and it has given excellent results.
My plan is to laminate in two stages . First the deck and then the hull. Still have to figure out glass layout and overlaps for best results.
I'll leave the bow for later. I find it very tricky to walk around the inside without the outer skin glass reenforcement. There would be glass overlaps in the bow area anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.