quinta-feira, 14 de outubro de 2010

Update

Beams, folding system and beam mounts have arrived from New Zealand. Took a quick look at the stuff and stocked it away for later. Still have a lot of work to do before the project is ready for the setting up the beams. Not much I hope!
In the meantime caught a small snake ( Montpelier rat snake) in my backyard and decided to make it my project "partner". The little thing is quite picky as far as eating goes. After trying all kinds of normal food (live and dead) I only convinced the snake to eat lizards. So I set up a food chain scheme with glue to catch flyes first, then lizards and it seems to have worked fine.

Anchor well on the way. It's finished and set aside for instalation.



Getting ready for the daggerboard. I built a custom table to make working around the blank as easy as possible.





Building up the thickness ( 50mm!).





Blank ready for HD inserts


Some drawing board work.

Routing...routing and more routing!

Daggerboard routed with the core insert. Looking good!



I decided to apply a first layer of carbon UD to avoid any possible warping due to uneven exotherm on the two sides during lamination.
The Daggerboard has been by far the most complex single component that I've made so far. It requires a huge amount of concentration during the whole process, especialy when tracing and routing the isometrics. In fact I ended up inverting the foil on the second side which forced me to reinsert a plug and repeat the routing process. The putty used on the one side induced a warp in the board. Fortunately I managed to apply counter warp and "froze" the shape with some carbon UD. It's not the best daggerboard in the world but it will do just fine. After all I spent nearly two weeks around this part and wasn't in the mood to let the whole work go down the drain.
I don't recommend this process to anyone coming behind. Take a look at other solutions or have it CNC'd. It will save you a lot of trouble, believe me!
Anyway, if you really want to claim for yourself the statute of boat builder, you've got to negociate with one of these foils!

Rudder, Daggerboard and Case waiting for lamination.


Winter is setting in, so I decided to close up the side of the working space. This way I hope it gets warm and dry enough to keep me going through the winter. I expect to glue both may hull halves and laminate the outside skin in three to four weeks time, so most of the remaining work can be done under controled environment.

Job done! It looks pretty good and I can already feel the improved confort.


Here the second main hull half is progressing at good speed. Tomorrow I intend to finish the remaining interior bulkheads and panels to get the hull ready for joining.
Weather has been fantastic so far . Let's hope it holds for another week or so!

1 comentário:

  1. Good to see an update from the other end of Europe! Lots of good work. Here it is 2 deg C now, I really envy you the climate. With your workspace I would have had maybe 20 days a year for epoxy-work... I intend to make the dagger in CNCed moulds like I did with Torkil's rudder, and will do with mine. Torkil is very happy with the rudder improvement on the C-24.
    The trailer is really a lot of work, I would recommend to have a trailer producer custom make one for you. I have to do a lot of modifications to fit the boat, and even more to fit the European regulations.

    ResponderEliminar