segunda-feira, 25 de outubro de 2010

Setting up materials for vacum bagging. Peel ply, bottom layer glass, foam ( not shown), top layer glass, peel ply, release film, breather fabric , vacuum film and sealing tape. Too bad most of this stuff will go straight to the trash bin! With this process it's possible to get excellent laminates.
This is the largest vacuum laminate I did so far measuring 1.08 x 2,60 m! With this size it's possible to cut out the forward bunk top and aft cabin floor and still get some off cuts large enough for smaller panels.
I'm using the vacuum cleaner tube on the venting outlet of the vacuum pump to avoid getting oil mist flying around the shop which could compromise resin bonding if it where to set on surfaces subject to future laminations. Had I known this I would have chosen an oiless vacuum pump. This is particularly severe if you don't get a full vacuum and too much air flows through the pump.


Starboard hull half sanded and ready for next stage. I was able to get a laminate nearly free of any imperfections without using any plastic film as many other builders use. It takes some practice to get the hang of it but after a while it actually becomes a lot easier than one could expect.



I planed to have some friends over to help me place the port hull half in position, but couldn't wait for the weekend so decided to do it myself with the help of some straps hung up on the ceiling. I didn't count how many times I went up and down the ladder but it must have been close to a hundred times!


After a few hours the hull is finaly in place. I'm very pleased with the alignment of the two hulls.



It's beggining to look like a boat, but still a long way to go.





Bow trimmed and ready to install the bow web.






Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário